Inspiration, creativity and the 9-5

A few years ago, I participated in a writing course.  At the time I was working in family law, and when I told this to the group, one member commented that it must give me an extraordinary amount of source material for my writing.  After all, working in family law, I got to see the very best and the worst of people.  I heard stories of unimaginably horrific and abusive family situations.  I have been exposed to all of the hurt, anger and bitterness that is often the consequence of family breakdown.  I have been moved by incredible courage, strength, positivity in the face of adversity and love.  It definitely sounds like rich pickings for a writer, doesn’t it?

But I have never used my work as a source of inspiration.  Not once. Not even a little bit.

Part of the reason for that is a question of ethics.  People come to me and trust me with intimate details of their lives.  It would feel like a betrayal of that trust if I used their stories as a basis or inspiration for my own.

It’s more than that though.  After all, 99% of the time my writing is just for myself.  The other 1%, I may share it with a small group.  If I am writing something that no one else will ever see, why can I then not use my work to inspire a story?

The problem is that I just don’t feel creative when working.

Until that comment was made, it genuinely never crossed my mind that I could have source of inspiration in my 9-5.  I am a lawyer.  My job is to listen to problems and find solutions.  That is fine – it is the career that I chose for myself and it is one that I like to think I’m good at.  However, it is a challenging job, which can be mentally exhausting and I find it does sap  my creative energy.  I know that this must be down to work, because whenever I have a couple of days off, I can feel it coming back to me – characters and scenarios that I thought long abandoned pop back up and demand my attention.

I need to find a solution to this.

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm, I am a lawyer.  Achieving outcomes for my clients is the most important thing during that time.  However, I need to find a way to switch into creative mode from 5pm and not have to wait for a couple of days off before feeling able to pick up a pen.

My writing challenge.

One of the ways that I try to kick start my writing is using little writing exercises and prompts.  Every now and then I will trawl through the hundreds of books on creative writing on Amazon (which I suspect is just another form of procrastination!) and order something that I think will inspire me.  A few months ago, I purchased “What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers” by Bernays and Painter.  I haven’t yet really made any use of it.

I am going to try to overcome the feeling of a lack of creativity by setting aside 30 minutes each day to get something, anything, down on a page using the writing exercises in this book as a guide.  In that way, much like Pavlov’s dogs, I am going to try to train my brain to switch into creative mode as soon as I leave the office.  To keep me focused on my goal, I will post the results of each exercise into this blog.  There are 83 in total, and I will do one each day (though the results may take longer to appear on here as I do prefer to write by hand).

I’m really looking forward to starting this challenge as I think if I can be disciplined enough to keep it up on stressful days when I’m tired and can’t be bothered, then this could really work for me.

Related articles

Advertisements

Posted on August 19, 2013, in My writing, The Blog and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.

  1. Thanks very much for the pingback:-) That’s not a book I’ve heard of but I look forward to reading what you make of the exercises it offers…good luck with the challenge you’ve set yourself!

    • blankpagesandbooks1

      Hi, Thanks for your comment! I hadn’t heard of the book before either – it just turned up as a recommended read on Amazon so I thought I would give it a go. I chose it because it had a lot of different exercises in it, so hopefully it will be useful for me 🙂

  1. Pingback: Opening lines – the most important? | Blank pages and books

  2. Pingback: Where were you last night? | Blank pages and books

  3. Pingback: One week in – changing my writing challenge… | Blank pages and books

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: